Re: Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

on 3-9-2008 5:36 PM Therese Trudeau spake the following:
So these cards are just plug n play?  Just plug them in, no software or
drivers required,
all mirroring is managed by firmware built into the card RAID card itself?
Drivers are required for all storage adapters(RAID or not). 3Ware
handles raid in hardware, not in software, it has a bios which
you'd typically use to configure the array, you can boot off of
the array, etc.

3Ware also offers a management tool for linux (CLI and/or web
based) which allows for monitoring, and controlling the adapter's
configuration settings.

3Ware has had their linux drivers in the kernel for at least...
8 years now? maybe longer. So any linux distro should have no
trouble detecting the card. The latest 9650 cards are pretty
new and use a new driver, which may or may not be supported,
CentOS 5.1 should work with it fine though(support for CentOS 4
was added almost a year ago, I think with v4.5)

They also support hot swap, provided the interface to the disk
supports it(typically a hot swap backplane).

Great thanks for that info Nate, I just checked out their web site, looks like the 9500S-4LP would suit my needs for a desktop machine.

I've been leary about desktop RAID cards because a few years ago, I bought an adaptec 1210SA RAID card which supposedly does
RAID 1  I never could get the darn thing to work in my old windows machine and years later found out it is really a fake raid card.  It's been collecting dust ever since
may as well throw it out.  The drivers it required never worked with W2K.

But the Centos server I use has adaptec SCSI RAID controller in it, I guess on the high end for SCSI RAID, adaptec is known for good raid cards, but the one I bought sure did nothing for me
for my desktop.

Adaptec makes both true HW raid and re-sells fakeraid cards. I guess they wanted a piece of both pies. But 3ware only makes HW raid cards AFAIK.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and