Re: Unable open raw socket in CentOS 5 - SE Linux andkernelcapability interaction?

I was hoping that either via kernel capabilities or SE Linux that we
could avoid this. Both seem to offer exactly the feature we want,
opening raw sockets from unprivileged accounts. But it's really
unclear from all the doc's online how these two interact. Best we
could do was try all the examples and approaches we could find - none
worked.

I guess I can try trolling the kernel source ... ugh! ... to see if
your recollection is correct. I certainly hope there is another
option ...

Thanks

I think Ross is right. At my last contract with IBM some years back, we
were doing some raw socket stuff. ISTR that we had no problems because
we were real root applications. IIRC, docs specified root privileges.

I completely agree with the fact that raw sockets require root privilege, that is the situation we're currently in and don't want to continue with. But am I then completely misunderstanding when I think that SE Linux can allow non-root access to certain "normally root only" capabilities, on a per process basis? Certainly all the ping-related SE Linux examples online all show precisely this: provide access to raw sockets for a non-root process.