Re: Rejecting spam

Tim Alberts wrote:
John Hinton wrote:

There are milters for SpamAssassin. You can set them to reject mail at a particular score level. So, if for instance you felt comfortable with rejecting mail at a score of 10, which is pretty reliable, you can also do that at smtp level.
BINGO That's exactly what I'm trying to do with spamass-milter. However it either won't do it, or my configuration is incorrect. Mail marked as spam is still being delivered as normal?

It's how the milter is started. This is my slightly edited spamass-milter init.d
file.

---------start--------------

#!/bin/bash
#
# Init file for Spamassassin sendmail milter.
#
# chkconfig: - 80 20
routes \
#              email messages to spamassassin
#
# processname: spamass-milter
# config: /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter
# pidfile: /var/run/spamass-milter

source /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
source /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

[ -x /usr/sbin/spamass-milter ] || exit 1

### Default variables
SOCKET="/var/run/spamass.sock"
EXTRA_FLAGS="-r 10"
SYSCONFIG="/etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter"

### Read configuration
[ -r "$SYSCONFIG" ] && source "$SYSCONFIG"

RETVAL=0
prog="spamass-milter"
desc="Spamassassin sendmail milter"

start() {
       echo -n $"Starting $desc ($prog): "
       daemon $prog -p $SOCKET -f $EXTRA_FLAGS
       RETVAL=$?
       echo
       [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
       return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
       echo -n $"Shutting down $desc ($prog): "
       killproc $prog
       RETVAL=$?
       echo
       [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
       return $RETVAL
}

restart() {
       stop
       start
}

case "$1" in
 start)
       start
       ;;
 stop)
       stop
       ;;
 restart|reload)
       restart
       ;;
 condrestart)
       [ -e /var/lock/subsys/$prog ] && restart
       RETVAL=$?
       ;;
 status)
       status $prog
       RETVAL=$?
       ;;
 *)
       echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
       RETVAL=1
esac

exit $RETVAL

--------- end file ---------

The key line is up there with Socket.... Extra Flags. The
EXTRA_FLAGS="-r 10" line means that any email scoring 10 or above is
rejected. Set this to whatever level you feel comfortable with.
Personally after many years at this stuff... I think 10 is more accurate
than a human. Delivering spam scored between 5 and 10 is not so bad.

From the docs....

    -r nn   Reject scanned email if it greater than or equal to nn.  If
-1, reject scanned email if SpamAssassin tags it as spam
            (useful if you are also using the -u flag, and users have
changed their required_hits value).

My sendmail.mc entry

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock,
F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl

Have fun!

John Hinton