Re: looking for kernel sources

Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 12:07:40PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Tru Huynh wrote:
[...]
Caveat: if you make your own kernel, you keep the pieces if you break your
system. Don't expect support here.

Tru

heh, that's funny, but hard to believe that I won't get support for a modified / hacked / changed / "broken" kernel. It's like saying " You can buy the car, but if you change the tires we won't service it" -
s/buy/get a free/
s/change the tires/replace engine with one custom-made/

Dude, that's the mentality of M$ and the likes, NOT Open Source

Do you possibly have some pointers on how to get a free, legal version of M$
Advanced Server, get kernel source code and recompile it?
And perhaps get free support for modified version?

Besides, VMWare & Virtualbox needs it to install properly on the system, what do you tell them? We won't support you, so your programs won't work on our system?

If you need support with modified kernel I am sure you can find it.
Not necessarily free.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stugg
Take care,

Wojtek

His words was "don't expect support here" - it implies that custom kernel ain't supported. It there's a different support channel for it, that's fine, but then he should have said so. I've recompiled kernels before, but that was at least 5 years ago, since then I got lazy (seeing that Linux has become easier), and this is the first time I needed it.