Re: Completely lost X (was system-config-display wronglysets up Viewsonic VG730m monitor)

Anne Wilson wrote:
I was reluctant to state this because I have no authoritative knowledge
on these things but if you change video cables, I think that you need to
reboot to get the video chipset to properly recognize the cable/monitor
connected.

I'm pretty sure you do.  I had done that, though.

on VGA, yes, the video controller can only read the "VESA ID" extended format information when its reset, its a horrible mess of a kludge interface as IBM had only alloted like 3 pins for a 1-of-8 model monitor specification back in 1984 or whenever the first VGA was designed. VESA created this very complex dance where the V sync line is used to clock serial data over those pins, and its only read when the monitor sync is stopped for some length of time, then started, the video controllers capture this data and save it so the host can later read it. I forget all the specifics, I had to work with this stuff in the mid 1990s when it was devised.

I /think/ on DVI its a lot better, but I've not actually worked with that at a low level so I can't confirm this from direct experience.