Re: yum hangs when Reading Local RPMDB

Kai Schaetzl <maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All of a sudden yum hangs on a Centos 4.5 (updated to the latest patch before 4.6) when I try to use it. "clean metadata" didn't help. The output of -d5 shows it gets to the point of "Reading Local RPMDB" and then sits there. The process doesn't die, but doesn't seem to do anything from that point on. strace shows this: futex(0xb76dcae8, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL

I remember that futex hangs have been mentioned in the past when doing "big" updates from 4.x to 4.y, but this wasn't the case here.
python-2.3.4-14.4
python-sqlite-1.1.7-1.2.1
sqlite-3.3.6-2
yum-2.4.3-3.el4.centos
Kernel in use is not the latest 4.5 kernel, but one from 4.3. This shouldn't matter in this case, shouldn't it?

How can I resolve this?
I see that one suggestion is rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*. How do I rebuild it then? I found that cleaning the metadata doesn't remove the sqlite databases, so I removed these from /var/yum/cache as well. The rebuilt databases were different, but it didn't solve the problem.

Kai
From the rpm man page:

  REBUILD DATABASE OPTIONS
      The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is

rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} [-v] [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root DIRECTORY]

Use --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to rebuild the database indices from the installed
      package headers.

Remove the __db* files and then "rpm --rebuilddb" is usually sufficient unless you have non-standard locations for the database.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce