Re: Re: How to size an email server to handle 5 million emails per day

Bill Campbell wrote:
On Thu, Jan 03, 2008, Joshua Gimer wrote:
I can only talk from experience; we are currently doing spam and anti- virus checks in our inbound flow of around 600,000 messages per day. To do this we have three inbound SMTP gateways running Sophos Puremessage with Sendmail as the MTA.. These systems are quad proc systems with 6 to 8 GB of ram. This is still not enough to handle the inbound flow efficiently at our organization.

We have a system that handles similar quantities of incoming mail with a
single incoming MX server running postfix, amavisd, and clamav to do anti-
virus checking only, passing clean messages to a cluster of five machines
which do spamassassin checking and delivery into Maildir folders NFS
mounted on a central machine using LDAP authentication on the cluster
machines.

I wonder if you have tried postfix + clamav via clamav-milter in any testing for potential system upgrades?