Re: Re: How to size an email server to handle 5 million emails per day

I can only talk from experience; we are currently doing spam and anti- virus checks in our inbound flow of around 600,000 messages per day. To do this we have three inbound SMTP gateways running Sophos Puremessage with Sendmail as the MTA.. These systems are quad proc systems with 6 to 8 GB of ram. This is still not enough to handle the inbound flow efficiently at our organization.

We are currently looking into Ironport, which should be able to handle our entire inbound and outbound flow on one system. They say that they have the ability to drop around 98% of traffic that is coming in using reputation filtering, anti-spam checks and anti-virus checks. We have been demoing the device for a couple of months and I am really happy with it, it has been doing what was promised.

Josh G.