Re: Trackerless torrents

William L. Maltby wrote:
Ah, yes. It sounds so simple. But I've been perusing the various
references available (bittorrent ones are sparse - no man pages) and if
I want to seed beginning with the ones I've already downloaded, it seems
to get more complicated. Port forwarding through my firewall, generation
and publishing (I currently have no http presence) of a torrent file,
getting one of my computers to the DMZ (I use IPCop and right now all
are in the green zone),... In fact, the /usr/share/doc bitorrent files
say I need to start with a tracker.

when the centos tracker was down, I fired up uTorrent on a Windows box w/ the 5.1 i386 dvd torrent, and it managed to find a few dozen peers in a few minutes and pretty quickly was downloading at close to my wirespeed. Within about half an hour, I was uploading at 60% of my bandwidth and still climbing, and it showed that there were 118 or something available peers, but uTorrent tends to only connect to 30 or so at once to keep the traffic efficient.

i just fired it back up to go ahead and share, i'm seeing 180 seeds and 190 peers on i386, and 116/54 on x86_64... i'll leave it running for the holidays at least.