Re: Torrent: reminder to use it folks!

centos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Why use torrents? With torrents I get around 25Kb/sec.

the port your client is using for torrent should be enabled in any firewalls (and if you're being NAT, it should be forwarded). If i'm in a corporate environment where this is impossible, I'll use a shell server outside the company network, torrent from there, then rsync-slurp it at night.

torrents may start slow, but if its all working right, they generally pick up speed pretty quickly and run at near wire speeds, especially one as well seeded as this one they transfer symetrically over the sockets, sending and recieving data on all peer connections, this can hammer a network connection, so most torrent clients have a feature to bandwidth limit (I often choose a number around 60% of the pipe speed)