Re: Going back to old kernels?

on 12/13/2007 4:32 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:
Christopher Chan wrote on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:42:27 +0800:

I take it then that you do not have any third party modules then. In which case, it will be just fine to reboot with an older kernel. Just change the default entry set in grub.conf.

Changed last night and so far am fine. There's one difference to the new
kernel. The old kernel cannot load the new microcode. The new microcode.dat
seems not to correspond well with the older microcode.ko. It throws an error. As I understand that is not a problem unless the CPU has a bug that manifests
in my environment/usage.
It's too early to say the crash problem is fixed, but I wonder if it
is actually the new microcode that caused the problem.
Kai

You can temporarily move the new microcode, or just stop the microcode_ctl program from running if you want to test that.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and