Re: Filesystem for Maildir

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:28:58AM -0200, Heitor Augusto M Cardozo wrote:
- EXT3: reliable but very slow to read many small files.
- ReiserFS: best performance but unreliable and bad recovery tools.
- XFS: My choice, good performance and reliability.
I would contest the last two.

I had two bad experiences with ReiserFS in our Mail Server, reiserfsck is too slow and lost data.

IMHO ReiserFS have the best performance for Maildir but its only safe on production if you´re sure that the system I/O will never fail.

nullfs (mount -t nullfs /dev/null /var/spool/mail) is even faster than
ReiserFS, and is just slightly more likely to loose your data. :)

I have /var on reiserfs on a busy RH 7.3 machine that hasn't had problems in however many years that has been (2001?). It wasn't rebooted in the last 4 of those years until just recently when I had to move it to a new location, though - but it's on raid1 and I've hot-swapped replacement drives into it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx