Re: Adobe products under Linux?

On Nov 23, 2007 5:24 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 2007 4:28 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I run Windows as a vmware guest under a Linux host.  I have an ext3
> > partition that holds all data which Windows accesses through host's
> > samba and Linux accesses natively.  I've had this setup for quite a
> > number of years without any problem.  This also makes backup of
> > Windows data files very easy.
> >

> not easy like copy/pasting objects between apps on a single environment,
> however.

I run Photoshop Elements on my VM Windows guest and have no trouble
with copying, pasting, etc., except for the time delay - it takes a
little longer to access the host files through samba than directly
under CentOS.

I will freely admit, though, that I don't do a lot of graphics
manipulations in APSE - the main uses I have for it are printing
(sometimes - my GIMP just won't print images at all, and sometimes the
image viewer won't, either) and saving files in formats that GIMP
doesn't support.  Occasionally I'll also use APSE for "quickie" tweaks
because it has different features from GIMP.

The biggest advantages to running Windows as a VM under CentOS are, of
course, stability, reliability, and if your Windows guest crashes, you
can just reboot it.  If it crashes hard, and you take good care of
backing up your VM disk, you can restore it fairly quickly from your
last good backup.

But, you knew that, right?

:-)

mhr