Re: manipulating files and directories with spaces

--On Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:14 PM -0500 Dave <dmehler26@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My issue is the files were made with spaces so find isn't able to find
them.

Good to know about the -print0 trick.

My rule of thumb is that when I see a space in a filename, that's a clue that a directory is likely needed to group content together. Not necessarily true for end users, but almost always true in my programming work. Just as spaces provide semantic boundaries in natural language, directory separators provide such boundaries in filesystem organization.

For example, instead of creating a folder named "my company's photos for 2007", I'd create "Company/Photos/2007".

My office is a mess, but my disk stays highly organized. ;)