html/form newbie: trying to upload a little data to a server

Hello!

I've been trying for several hours to upload a few bits of data (not a file) from an html form to a server, and none of my variants have worked thus far. I've done some web searching, too.

Anyway, here's the form:

<form method="POST" action="mmsrequest">
<pre>
UserID: <input type="text" NAME="userid">
Date  : <input type="text" NAME="date" value="mm/dd/yy">
Time  : <input type="text" NAME="time" value="hh:mm:ss">
<input type="submit"> <input type="reset">
</pre>
</form>

I've tried mmsrequest as a script and as an executable. Full path, etc. In and out of cgi-bin.

Variants tried:
 method="GET"

I end up with a copy of the script (well, I told the browser not to bother trying to display the executable), instead of having the script run.

method="POST"

I either end up with a "Not Found" or "Method Not Allowed". I've always insured that permissions were rwxrwxrwx, just to avoid any permissions problem, expecting to tighten that up after I got the basic thing working.

I don't particularly care if the script or executable gets the information from the command line separated by ampersands and whatnot, environment variable (QUERY_STRING, or so I understand), or from standard input. However, I do care that the script/program gets run and does get the information somehow, on the server side.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Chip Campbell