Re: MD5 and NIS

Jeremy Sanders wrote:
Does anybody know whether it is possible to enable MD5 passwords for NIS and
local passwords? Is it just a matter of running

authconfig --enablemd5

and new passwords will use MD5 and old ones will still work?

Something I've never tried, but I don't think the NIS bit will work - you can have MD5 passwords in local /etc/passwd files and crypt passwords from NIS.

I believe NIS doesn't care what string of characters is used in the password field of the NIS passwd file, however user applications may. e.g. I think yppasswdd expects crypt strings to be passed about.

If Linux can use MD5 NIS passwords, then you might still have problems if you also have non-Linux NIS clients.

I guess the easiest way to test is to generate an MD5 passwd string and update your NIS source passwd file for a test user and see what happens ...

James Pearson