thanks - Re: What is eating my memory?

William Warren wrote:
your mahcine is fine. swap is at zero. You have most of your ram being used by cache. This is also normal for a linux machine. If an application needs to ram being used for file caching the kernel will clear out that portion of cache and the program will have access to it.
I finally figured that out this morning. I see how the free command gives me better insight to my computer than top. At least for how my memory is managing with my apps.

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Below is both results...

William Warren wrote:
easier way....log in as root and type the word free to get a much slimmer version of that information. If the numbers look odd(after posting them here) then the more expansive option below is needed.

Alfred von Campe wrote:
I install centos 5 on a HD while it is in a Compaq with 256Mb memory. After install, i am in graphics mode (Gnome) and top reports not quite all 256Mb used.

Then I move the HD to a decTOP with 512Mb memory. I am running non-graphics (init 3). I ssh into the unit and top reports not quite all of that used.....

So what ate up more than 256Mb memory (X is not running)?

Perhaps there is something I did not clean up properly wrt the move.

Have you done any I/O on the system? The memory could be in use by buffers. Please post the contents of /proc/meminfo. Your real free memory should be the sum of MemFree + Buffers + Cached.
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 495228 488440 6788 0 21404 310364
-/+ buffers/cache: 156672 338556
Swap: 1572856 0 1572856