CentOS vs RedHat packages

Hello Once Again:

Another learning experience question - it is my understanding that CentOS essentially IS RedHat but with any commercial connection removed. That being said, is there any difference in the included, or quality of packages between the two distros?

I've got some basic issues with a critical server I'm about to set up, and if I cannot get beyond said issues, I may opt to try CentOS. Seeing that CentOS is free (can't call RedHat for support), I'm wondering if I should try and make the case for CentOS over RedHat. Once the choice is made, it may be next to impossible to revert to the other version (RH vs CentOS).

Thanks for your insights.

Scott