Re: new CentOS 5 as DNS server

Ken Price wrote:

I'm coming in late to this thread. We too are a hosting provider (small time), hosting approximately 1600 live domains.

Not to say tinydns is a bad alternative, as it has it's strengths, but we moved away from [outgrew] it 2 years ago.

I used to work for a messaging service provider and they had two
systems. The first system was the service provider offering its
messaging platform for its own domains and a hundred or so domains for
quite a lot of clients and these were managed with BIND by hand.

eek.  i can imagine that was a pain.

In the beginning it sure was.

Good thing BIND has this $INCLUDE thing. That reduced the amount of work after I cleaned up the mess from the previous configuration maintainer.

So I do not know how you 'outgrew' tinydns. After all the only part
that involves tinydns is 'generate the cdb file from a database for
tinydns to chew' or in other words, generating the cdb file for tinydns
is the least of your problems to tackle.

Look, in no way was i bashing TinyDNS or starting a flamewar. This is why i prefaced my comment with "Not to say tinydns is a bad alternative, as it has it's strengths". By "outgrew" i mean we required more of our DNS server. We weren't a top level domain provider. Our clients required authoritative and sometimes secondary service. As a result, we required better RFC compliance and a broader range of features then TinyDNS provided. That's all. Our business simply required greater flexibility.

You should have come out with this in the first place. Stating 1600 domains as a hosting provider and then not clearly stating the technical reasons on why you had to switch away from tinydns looks like a veiled snipe at djbdns.

If anybody dares insinuate ease of use, performance or security reasons for not using djbdns, I am going to grill them because 'I' have tried to find something to replace dnscache, which has this knack of not caching CNAME records and hammering the authoritative servers of a zone when it receives multiple new requests for records in that zone before it gets an answer, and I have yet to find anything that is as scalable as dnscache despite its annoying shortcomings.

Generally, your business needs should determine the solution. Not the other way around.

Agreed.