Re: Gnome Terminal and xterm problems

I've seen a similar issue when I've had an ssh connection open to a remote site over a VPN connection (not a VPN client on my PC, but a VPN connection between my site and the remote site, between Cisco routers). Catting a large file would hang the connection, and I had to kill and re-establish the connection. The issue was that the maximum packet size over the VPN link was something like 1460. The VPN connection added 40 extra bytes of payload. When I would cat a large file, my computer would send 1500 byte packets with the do-not- fragment bit set. The routers couldn't pass the 1500 byte packet because it was too large, and the do-not-fragment bit prevented them from fragmenting the packet, so it would get dropped, and my connection would die. I don't remember the exact details, as it occurred a couple years ago, but the gist was that the MTU on the servers I had to connect to had to be reduced to something like 1460. I don't think this is exactly your situation, but it's just an idea of something to consider.

-Tim