Re: Gnome Terminal and xterm problems

Yeah I've set that on a few machines just to test.  But these
connections aren't inactive.  I'm actively working in that session
when it happens.

-matt

On 7/15/07, Jay Leafey <jay.leafey@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matt Shields wrote:
> It shouldn't be dns because the session is already established and it
> now IP based.  I don't believe ssh tries to keep resolving the IP
> again and again.
>
> No session doesn't come back ever.  It just hangs permanently.
>
> -matt

We were seeing something similar to this a while back, SSH sessions to
or from outside our network were dropping after some period of no
activity (which may not be your problem).  Eventually we found that the
Cisco PIX on our perimeter was set to kill idle sessions sessions after
a certain period.

We were able to resolve this by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config and setting
the ClientAliveInterval to a non-zero value.  In our case we set it to
240, which caused a "ClientAlive" request packet to be sent every 4
minutes over the encrypted channel as the idle threshold on the PIX was
set to 5 minutes.  This resolved our issues, perhaps it might help with
yours.

Just a thought!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN