procmail, and the care and feeding of mailing list content received

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Akemi Yagi wrote:

Could you explain why you are going through killfile here?  For
example, can't you just do:

:0:
* ^(From|Sender|Received):.*Perrin
	/dev/null

It _is_ certainly possible to do it all in one step, but I do LOTS of marking (with the 'f' filter operator) in my procmail rules [I have about 10,000 lines of procmailrc marking, re-writes, redirects, and so forth], and it helps me to debug matters this way, when I save up the actual drop to one place.

I actually will turn on logging markers around a rule when I am 'tuneing' it up (procmail rules are not quite regex's and I still consult the man pages, after probably a decade building my ruleset). For the mailing list, I simplified my example, as in production, the marking for a killfile and the actual drop are done in differing files.

from my ~/.procmailrc:

#       at the start, whitelist certain senders
#       and RPH personal stuff
#
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmail/friendbrandrc
# LOG="after friendbrandrc
# "
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmail/logbrandrc
# LOG="after logbrandrc
# "
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmail/clientbrandrc
# LOG="after clientbrandrc
# "

I have fuzzed the names of some of the rules for some rules.

[herrold@new herrold]$ wc .procmailrc ; cd .procmail ; wc -l  *rc
    758    2418   17979 .procmailrc
    164 antispamrc
    140 bugzillarc