Re: Squid +Yum = apt-cacher?

Lorenzo wrote:
So mrepo and PXE boot are really nice and funny, but they don't solve at all my need of bandwidth saving.

Why don't you create your own repo mirror? That's what I used to do, works pretty well.

Just pick a file server with enough disk space, mirror a whole repo once (*), then point all your systems to the internal mirror. The mirror is polling external repos once a day or something like that and only transfers files when something new comes up. IIRC, lftp can do that out of the box.

(*) - the base repo does not have to be mirrored (downloaded), you can probably reconstruct it from the install CDs / DVD. You only have to download the updates repo, and even that only once.

The internal repo mirror is a classic solution that works fairly well in many cases.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/