Re: A question about RAID and partitions

Miguel Medalha wrote:

Yet, maybe I am being stupid but it seems to me that there still is something to my original question...

Under hardware RAID, a dedicated processor on the RAID controller does all the job of RAID calculations. Under software RAID, as you said, "you create partitions on the disk, then combine them into md devices".

Isn't there any space for something in which the disks are made parts of RAID arrays *before* the partitions are created and yet all the RAID operations would be made by the main CPU and so it would still be considered software RAID? What would happen if the equivalent of mdadm was *included* in the OS kernel?

I'm not sure it would be possible to boot such a drive. Hardware raid has the benefit of a bios that understands it at boot time. Software raid1 only works for /boot because each of the mirrored partitions looks just like a normal one to bios and grub. For non-boot drives you can get the same effect (and more) by putting the whole drive in one partition, combining those with raid, then running lvm on top of that.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx