Re: A question about RAID and partitions

Perhaps I am wrong but I feel that my question didn't receive an answer yet; the discussion digressed a bit.
So, let me rephrase my question:

Which one is better, RAID devices created on top of partitions or partitions created on top of RAID devices?

By "better" I mean under the aspects of data security, performance and ability to recover from a disk crash.

Thank you again.

I am about to begin the installation of a small server (no more than 20 users), using CentOS with Samba to authenticate Windows XP workstations. A question arises about the organization of the filesystem. I hope that more experienced and knowledgeable users here will be able to give me some precious advice.

I have 2 120GB SATA disks on which to install the OS. I want to create the following partitions:

/boot
/
/tmp
/var
/home
/swap

Two options are now present to me:

- Create a single RAID 1 device with both entire disks and then partition on top - Create several RAID devices, one for each partition (md0, md1, md2 and so forth)

Which one would be better from the points of view of performance, security and data recoverability?