Re: Apple hfs mounting help. OT maybe?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Akemi Yagi" <amyagi@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:33 PM
Subject: Re:  Apple hfs mounting help. OT maybe?

On 5/22/07, Steve Campbell <campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am running a CentOS 3 server with a kernel version -2.4.21-40. I typically
use Webmin to accomplish mounting varied filesystems, but this one has me
buffaloed.

When I try to mount it as an Apple hfs, I get a message that the fs type is
not supported by this kernel.

Steve Campbell

This is not a helpful reply but I believe the CentOS 4 and 5 kernels
have hfs file system support turned on.  If this is not the case with
CentOS 3, you would have to either rebuild the kernel or compile the
hfs kernel module.

Akemi

Actually, this is part of what I was looking for as an answer. I wasn't sure if the kernel had that support or not and wasn't sure how to discover whether it had so or not. Unfortunately, a lot of the servers I run can't be updated regularly due to a few non-Open source programs running on them, and the time to shut down, upgrade OS, and recompile is not always there.

Thanks for the reply , and a little help towards the solution. If I find a spare machine to put a newer release on, I will proceed.

Steve