Re: Make Raid1 2nd disk bootable?

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

On earlier versions of Centos, I could boot the install CD in rescue
mode, let it find and mount the installed system on the HD even when it
was just one disk of RAID1 partitions (type=FD).   When booting from the
centos5 disk the attempt find the system gives a box that says 'You
don't have any Linux partitions'.  At the bottom of the screen there is
something that says:

Are you trying to install grub on the second disk of a software raid 1
array because anaconda STILL does not properly setup grub on both
disks during install?

I'm not sure now but I think so. I'm in the process of updating several nearly identical boxes that have swappable drives by building the system disks with all programs installed on a spare box, then swapping them into the real servers and changing the IP, hostname and fstab entries for other drives on that machine. Before the swap I pull one of the raid mirrors as the starting point for the next clone, re-sync to a new drive, then swap the pair with the production server. I think the one I had that didn't boot was the original 2nd drive, meaning the install didn't set it up right. I've never worried about that much before though, since the install disk in rescue mode would always boot and mount the drives whether grub had been installed or not. And an auto-install is probably going to be wrong on either IDE or scsi since one usually shifts positions and one doesn't after a failure.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx