reading lvm

Hi,
I don't like to start messages out this way and this is my opinion but i'm really beginning to hate lvm. With that out of the way here's the situation. I have a centos 4.4 drive with two partitions on it, one an hd*1 partition former /boot ext3 partition, which i can read fine, but which doesn't have the data i want. I've got some data on an lvm volume /dev/hd*2 which contains two partitions within it's volume, the last one which i believe is swap and the first one which was a former / filesystem and has data on it i am trying to obtain. Using fdisk i can read that it's linux-lvm, but i can't get mount to read it.
   Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.