Re: Vmware version 1.03

From: "Bart Schaefer" <barton.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Vmware version 1.03
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:32:40 -0700

On 5/10/07, Barton Callender <b14wc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just downloaded vmware version 1.03 the .tar download.  There were no
problems installing it however, only when I'm logged as the root user am I
able to create new virtual machine.  Does anyone know how to correct this
problem?

http://pubs.vmware.com/server1/admin/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=admin&file=manage_secure_gsx.html#1001875

Virtual machines are just files on your disk.  Everyone who is to be
allowed to create a virtual machine needs write permission on the
directory where those files will be stored.

Thanks for your help, it gave me some insight but prior to reading that when I installed vmware the second time, I created a folder in my home directory for the virtual machines. However, I still got the error message that I am not authorized to do that. I added myself to the disk group so I could have full permissions to the hard drive.

The passage did not tell me how to allow an ordinary user to create a new virtual machine.

Later