Re: Centos5 compatibilities

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 19:11 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> In other words, IF comps.xml was edited, THEN running createrepo -g
> comps.xml makes sense ? Otherwise createrepo would not create anything
> new.  It will just re-create the repodata files.  Did I put it
> correctly?

comps.xml is the file that provides the GROUP functionality for the yum
repodata files.

So, if you add any packages, then you want to rerun createrepo (and use
the -g comps.xml option).

If you are only adding updates to current packages and not adding any
ADDITIONAL packages, using the current comps.xml file is fine.

If you are adding additional packages and not just updates to current
packages ... AND IF you want them to show up in the selection menus for
either a "yum groupinstall" ... OR IF you want them to show up as
installable via anaconda ... OR IF you want them to show up in yumex or
pirut (system-install-packages) in the "Group" areas then you will need
to add any new GROUPS and/or PACKAGES into comps.xml.

If you add additional packages to the repo and do not add them to
comps.xml, then they will not be selectable via an anaconda install or
via "yum groupinstall".  They will be available under yumex and
purit ... but not in any groups.

Hopefully this explains the functionality of comps.xml

Better than any documentation available on earth.  :)  Thanks!

Akemi