Re: 2.6 memory management question

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 12:44:31PM -0500, tblader wrote:
Thanks for breaking that down. No I'm not all that familiar with swap
details so it helps to have some insight. The box flatlined around 3am
on Monday morning and memused (sar) was around 96%.  All the swap space was
untouched.  Maybe every process running was active, and unable to be
swapped, so the box just up and died when a request came in to allocate
more ram.  I just don't have enough of an understanding of swap to say
that was what happened.  I do remember a day when you could heat a small
room with the swap activity generated on earlier 2.x kernels, but things
seem much different with 2.6.

It could be hardware related. Maybe the hardware doesn't like that
memory module, or it has problems. Did you memtest+ all your memory?

Yep.  Haven't ruled that out yet.  I ran memtest for a weekend
straight on it and it said things were cool.  Someone did mention that
they weren't sure memtest ran in protected mode so it may not have been
able access all the ram (4G limit I guess?).  I fired up memtest again
after that and it listed the whole lot of ram in the stats so it would
seem it must have been able to test it.

--

Flambeau Inc. Technology Center - Baraboo, WI
Email    : tblader@xxxxxxxxxxxx