Re: EXT3 fs error on RAID1 device

On 3/29/07, Alfred von Campe <alfred@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 29, 2007, at 6:36, Rasmus Back wrote:

> I have a Dell SC440 running Centos 4.4. It has two 500GB disks in a
> RAID1 array using linux software raid (md1 is / and md0 is /boot).
> Recently the root file system was remounted read-only for some reason.
> The logs don't show anything unusual, presumably the file system was
> read-only before anythng was logged. Running dmesg showed this error
> repeated many times:
>
> EXT3-fs error (device md1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

I had the exact error 9 months or so ago (look for a similarly titled
thread in the archives).  It was a disk going bad.  Get all the data
off you need now and replace the disk ASAP.  It may run for a few
days/weeks before it gets mounted again read only, but eventually you
will lose some data.

Hi Alfred.

Thanks for the pointer! The smart logs for my drives don't show any
errors but I'll start a long selftest just to be sure. Although if it
is a failing hard drive then the raid driver should kick it out of the
array. Your system was a laptop with just one drive, right?