Re: Samba config for Windows on VMWare

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:21:24 -0500
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Samba config for Windows on VMWare

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:>>
The vmware client is using a bridged Ethernet adapter (meaning same as
the host, I think).

"Bridged" means the guest shares the host's network adapter directly but
it looks like a completely different system to everyone else including
the host - that is, it needs its own IP address on the same subnet.

Once that is set up, sharing files is exactly the same as with any other
machine on the network.

Okay, I understand that.  However, my computer is linked up to a DSL
modem and has no subnet, per se, and the DSL host assigns my IP
address.  So:

1) Is tehre a way I can get around this and give my Windows VM its own
IP address (and how)?

I don't know how vmware does it, but i'm sure it's possible. With xen, you do something like
ifconfig dummy0 <whatever>
and configure dummy0 into the bridge in place of eth0.

2) If not, how would I set up one of the other ethernet types to make
this work?  NAT doesn't look right for this, and I don't know enough
to do a custom network, so that hints to me that host-only might work,
but that calls for a vmnet1 device on the host, and I know nothing
about this (but I will look - just hoped for a quickie answer
here...).

If you want internet access for both concurrently, NAT is exactly what you want. See netfilter.org and consider installing shorewall.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait