Re: TightVNC controlling a Mac OSX 10.4.9.

William Hooper wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Justin Cataldo wrote:

Ah I see.  Well that should work.  It's obviously connecting since you
get the dot.

I've had similar issues with TightVNC before.  It sits for ages saying
it is doing the initial screen draw, but never connects.

I'd suggest trying RealVNC (realvnc.com).

*VNC Free Edition for Linux (x86)
http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi

The version RH ships does not work -
[summer@bilby ~]$ vncviewer emu

VNC viewer for X version 4.0 - built Mar 31 2005 17:48:27
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Fri Mar 23 21:09:18 2007
CConn:       connected to host emu port 5900
CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.889

Apple pulled a number out of the air for the protocol version.  With
RealVNC 4, it is close enough to the real number that the viewer picks the
wrong encoding.  I also believe there are other incompatibilities, but you
will have to look at the RealVNC list for more details.

I believe people have had some success with the Windows version of
VNCViewer 4.1.2, which has an option to force it to use the older 3.3
protocol.  I don't know if 4.0 for Linux implemented this option.

I have RealVNC viewer vP4.2.8, and get the unknown error 255, even though I chose the Use Protocol 3.3 option. Looking more like I need to use Vine, or some other vncserver on the OSX side...

--
--- David Woyciesjes