Re: How do I configure additional serial ports?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 13:15, James Olin Oden wrote:

As I understand it you can also set the kernel command line arg
8250.nr_uarts equal to some value like 8, 16, 32, etc, without having
to rebuild your kernel (i.e. go into grub.conf and add to your kernel
line " 8250.nr_uarts=32").

I tried this, but it didn't work. I probably also need the CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MANY_PORTS option enabled, and that probably can't be set on the kernel command line.

IIRC, what you have to do is create a udev rule so that you can cause
your serial port naming to persist the way you want.  I've never
created one myself, but we have done that in my group where I work, so
the problem is familiar to me.

I wrote a udev rule once (it was for setting permissions on a device), so I am somewhat familiar with this. I'll see if I can write a rule that uses better names for the serial ports.

Alfred