Re: How do I configure additional serial ports?

On Mar 9, 2007, at 14:42, Michael D. Kralka wrote:

The OX16PCI954 chip from Oxford includes a PCI bridge (0a:0a.1 and
0a:0c.1 in your lspci list) that can be used to "glue" additional (non
PCI-enabled) Quad-UARTs to the OX16CPI954.

The standard Linux serial driver always detects 4 phantom ports on this
bridge; which explains why ttyS1-ttyS3 are detected as 16450 (Linux
cannot detect what they are -- since they don't exist -- and defaults to
16450s).

When reconfiguring your kernel, you should take these 4 phantom ports
(per card) into account (since they will consumed /dev/ttyS# device
files). If you have two such cards, you should configure at lest 16
non-legacy ports.

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting that. I was wondering what those ports were and why there were only three. I think what's happening is that by default, only device nodes /dev/sttyS0-7 are created, and since there is one serial port on the motherboard (ttyS0), that only leaves room for 7 more: 3 phantom and 4 real (I'm just glad it's not the other way around).

Until I can get the kernel to rebuild (see my previous post), I can not test the theory that changing the kernel config file will make the other 4 ports available.

Alfred