Re: A working SIP Phone for Centos44?

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:

On 3/10/07, *Theo Band* <theo.band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:theo.band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I try to find a softphone that works with Asterisk and Centos44, does
    anyone has a good suggestion or is it better to buy a hardphone?

AFAIK, microphone bad quality is more related to the hardware, not the software. My onboard "Intel high definition" sound chipset (ICH7 compatible - Intel 945GNT) has a bad output sound, but a much worse input (microphone). I have tried using Windows XP, CentOS, Ubuntu, many softphones (Skype, X-Lite, Ekiga, Twinkle) and definitely the problem is hardware (or all drivers are broken).

the output quality of the Intel branded motherboards I've used has been quite good. Microphone inputs somewhat less so, but still plenty good enough for telephony IF your microphone has high enough gain. If someone is recording high fidelity (music, etc) from microphones, I recommend they get an external microphone preamp and use the line input on their sound card, or even better a USB input/output box.

for voice/telephony, USB headsets are the way to go.