Re: A working SIP Phone for Centos44?

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:

I try to find a softphone that works with Asterisk and Centos44, does
anyone has a good suggestion or is it better to buy a hardphone?

AFAIK, microphone bad quality is more related to the hardware, not the software. My onboard "Intel high definition" sound chipset (ICH7 compatible - Intel 945GNT) has a bad output sound, but a much worse input (microphone). I have tried using Windows XP, CentOS, Ubuntu, many softphones (Skype, X-Lite, Ekiga, Twinkle) and definitely the problem is hardware (or all drivers are broken).

The solution was to buy a PCI sound card from a friend (Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI). Its output quality is not that good - but better than "Intel high definition" - and its input quality is of a very good usability. Although it worked very nicely on Ubuntu 6.10, the microphone is not working on CentOS yet (actually it work once, but I wasn't able to reproduce yet, maybe I was using Centosplus kernel, don't remember now), but I'm gonna invest some time on that as soon as I can.

I have used Twinkle on Ubuntu 6.10. Between many free softphones, it was for sure the best. I have not used it with a personal Asterisk, but I have used it with a real VoIP company ( www.vono.net.br), which *may* be using Asterisk. It had some bugs, needed to be restarted from time to time, although it was far from the last version. I would really recommend this software, if it was available as rpm to CentOS.

At last, I can say Skype works on CentOS, though this is not what you want.
Skype works perfectly with Centos4.4. Microphone sound is HIFI. We use that up to now in our company together with POTS (ISDN phones). So I know the sound can work good but for some reason most softphones give a very jurky sound. I had even installed (old) Nforce drivers from Nvidia. It didn't work either since we all sounded like Donald Duck (sound pitch was about twice too fast).
I'll give Twinkle a try. I just compiled it successfully and were able to run it. Since I work remotely via a vnc session without sound (that's a pitty...) I'll check the sound quality when I'm in the office tomorrow.
I found this message at the sound settings of twinkle: "When using ALSA, it is not recommended to use the default device for the microphone as it gives poor sound quality". Fine with me, but what is a better choice then?

Thanks Leonardo for the tip.

Theo