Re: Error on starting apache server

From a security perspective I am not going to be held waiting for Red Hat to release a new version or patch. I install primary packages from source, this allows ME to decide when I want to install a new version. It also allows me to have more control of the features that I am installing with a package, not the ones that others have decided to be useful.

Some people prefer the upstream approach, I personally do not. Just my opinion, this is the advice that I give to even our Junior sys admins. The attackers that actually know what they are doing, know that people wait for a patches from the vendor; these are the people that I am worried about recieving attacks from.

hmmm... telling someone to compile programs from
source, isn't that like telling them to shoot their
own foot with their sever? Especially when they are
having this much troubles with rpm in the first place.
Sorry i do not get the logic behind that advice!

Steven

--
Thx
Joshua Gimer