Re: alternative to rocks cluster

One thing I have NOT figured out is the limitation of having one front-end, which is a single source of failure for accessing the cluster.

That is my main issue with Rocks as well. That and the fact that you have to have a private and a public network (which although a good idea, not always desirable).

Back to the original poster, are you looking for a way to rebuild the nodes automatically, remotely, and completely hands off, or just merely to rebuild them quickly? I only deal with a couple of dozen nodes (not hundreds), and using kickstart and storing the config files on the server allows me to rebuild a node in about 15 minutes, of which only the first minute or two requires my attention and physical presence. I wrote a simple Perl script that generates the kickstart file for each node.

Alfred