Re: alternative to rocks cluster

Tom,

FYI, If you are handy with SQL, you can customize a lot of things in ROCKS cluster, including node names. Instead of using their packaged tools to deploy the nodes, you'd just have to pre-populate the SQL database with the correct information. Unfortunately, the documentation is very poor so you need to be willing and able to look into the code and database schema to see how things work. I've deployed ROCKS cluster with additional file servers (in addition to the front-end), customized node names, and two cluster private networks (instead of just one) connecting all nodes for more data- intensive computing applications. One thing I have NOT figured out is the limitation of having one front-end, which is a single source of failure for accessing the cluster.

Steven