Re: Problems loading CentOS 4.4 on ASUS M2N-MX mobo

Ed Burgstaler wrote:
I have a brand new ASUS MB model M2N-MX which is giving me issues when installing Centos 4.4 64 bit I initially had problems with finding the SATA drives but I resolved that issue by simply selecting the NVIDIA SATA (sata_nv)driver from the list of drivers during the initial install. The install seemed to go fine after that as the installer uses the Generic VESA video driver during the install, however, upon the restart after the install, the server then completely locks up. I can only assume it is at the point of loading the video driver although I really don't know what CentOS loads after the "acivating local loopback" section, because that is where it freezes on the screen. I'm thinking that the install to the SATA drive went well since it boots from the drive though it doesn't exactly boot completely. I have tried reinstalling several times already with the same negative results.

Would appreciate any help that someone could offer in getting this working with this new MB.

When you get the grub screen, hit esc to stop the count down. Edit the kernel line and add 'acpi=off' to the list of kernel parameters. Then boot (run) that grub entry.

After you have got in, edit all your kernel parameters to add acpi=off.

That is how I get Centos 64-bit to run stably on my Asus manufactured board. Asus BIOSes are crap and their acpi table setup is lousy.