Re: i386 or x86_64 installation

> back I see is the max RAM on i386 but perhaps I am wrong.  90 percent
> of our CPU load is Spamassassin.  Disk I/O is likely a big bottle neck

Are you using spamd?

Yes, and it almost always on the top of top.

I ask, because me mate's system was rather busy, and it transpired he
wasn't.

Other than extra RAM, AMD-64 CPUs have more registers, and they work
best with 64-bit code, so for CPU-intensive work you should see better
performance with 64-bit Linux than with 32-bit.

I still doubt if I move to 64 bit since its still considered beta by
the web GUI I am using and I have no intention of porting 2000 email
accounts plus a few websites to a new platform.  Doing a
admin/reseller backup and restore is going to be nasty enough.  If I
initially have 4G of RAM can I actually jump up to 8G later on i386
CentOS?

Matt