Re: Installing 4.4 - problem on 386

Jussi Hirvi wrote:
I tried installing with several options (noacpi noapm; noprobe; noprobe
skipddc noacpi noapm nodma). Always I get the same error.

BUT this is not in fac a CentOS problem at all, because I get the same error
always when I boot from hd (Fedora Core), IF there is a CD in the CD-ROM
drive. (I tried with CentOS 1/4, CentOS 2/4 and a HP printer software CD.)
It must be something with the CD drive! Maybe I just have to try another CD
drive.

As a diagnostic technique, try something different: Ubuntu or Knoppix say.
Knoppix runs direct from CD, it's very good for an emergency Linux desktop and for all sorts of recovery and diagnostic work.

I've even seen it recommended by a Windows guru for Windows work.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait