Re: Installing 4.4 - problem on 386

[ wow, you took the time to format my message so you can top post. Amazing. ]

So you're saying that the fedora kernel gives a similar error when trying to use the CD drive? Yes, try a different cd drive.

Also try setting your bios to "bios defaults". Some bioses have optimized and another default named failsafe, bios etc. Choose that other default. It will have slower timings and fewer speed optimizations that may have a positive affect on your system.

Jussi Hirvi wrote:
I tried installing with several options (noacpi noapm; noprobe; noprobe
skipddc noacpi noapm nodma). Always I get the same error.

BUT this is not in fac a CentOS problem at all, because I get the same error
always when I boot from hd (Fedora Core), IF there is a CD in the CD-ROM
drive. (I tried with CentOS 1/4, CentOS 2/4 and a HP printer software CD.)
It must be something with the CD drive! Maybe I just have to try another CD
drive. - Jussi H.
Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) kirjoitteli (18.1.2007 18:23):[
try booting with "noapm".

Jussi Hirvi (greenspot@xxxxxxxxxxxx) kirjoitteli (18.1.2007 14:14):
Greetings, list!

I get kernel panic while trying to install CentOS 4.4 on an oldish PC.

The machine is P III 500 MHz (this info is displayed at the beginning of
boot). 256M RAM at the moment (I plan to add more later). I have 386 version
of the installer.

The boot begins ok - I get the "CentOS" screen (from CD-ROM), and the boot
process after that begins ok, until...

I hope the following helps you understand the problem:

-------------------

mounting [etc. etc.]
running install...
running /sbin/loader

[After this there is kernel panic with a lot of cryptic texts. Here's some
that seems to be relevant: ]

Call Trace:
cdrom_start_packet_command [code...]
cdrom_timer_expiry [code]
ide_do_rw_cdrom [code]
start_rewuest [code]
ide_do_request [code]
ide_timer_expiry [code]
ide_timer_expiry [code]
run_timer_softirq [code]
__do_softirq [code]
do_softirq [code]
==============
do_IRQ [code]
common_interrupt [code]
default_idle [code]
apm_cpu_idle [code]
cpu_idle [code]
start_keernel [code]
Code: [code]
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

What could I try to get this working?

Thanks,
Jussi Hirvi
Helsinki

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland