Re: Ultra simple mail server config?

I am perfectly fine with leaving out complex
server-side spam filtering, though I suspect that some
basic blacklist usage would be a good idea. Most specifically, I don't want to add the security
liability  and m caintenance requirements of a typical
"default" server. (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Bind, etc.)

Basically, I want an ultra-basic server that I can set
for automatic updates and let it continue running
"hands-off" until CentOS 4 is no longer supported with
security patches.

Have you looked at ASSP? <http://assp.sourceforge.net> ??? It does all kinds of protection and sits in front of your mail server.

Barry