Re: Ultra simple mail server config?

Dave wrote:
Hello,

I am hoping you folks on the list could advise me on
this...

Can anyone point me towards a HOW-TO that describes
how to transform a normal CentOS install into a very
basic POP3/IMAP/SMTP email server?

Our current ISP where we host ~15 domains and ~25+
email accounts has a mandatory incoming "auto-discard"
spam filter that is far too strict to continue using.

Unfortunately, switching ISPs is not an option right
now.

I am looking at signing up for a basic low-memory
CentOS "Virtual Dedicated Server" to  handle our own
incoming (& outgoing) mail.

There will not be a full-time IT person to maintain
the server, so simplicity is a must.

I am perfectly fine with leaving out complex
server-side spam filtering, though I suspect that some
basic blacklist usage would be a good idea.
Most specifically, I don't want to add the security
liability  and m caintenance requirements of a typical
"default" server. (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Bind, etc.)

Basically, I want an ultra-basic server that I can set
for automatic updates and let it continue running
"hands-off" until CentOS 4 is no longer supported with
security patches.

Does such a HOW-TO exist?

If not, and there are experts here willing to help
out, I would be happy to write up my experience.
Thank you for reading,
David
If you don't want to manage the server yourself you could purchase an account with any web host and point your DNS or just the MX to that host. I don't want to turn this into an ad so send me a message off list or check out our web site if interested.