Re: Apache 2.2 under CentOS?

Johnny Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 19:00 -0800, Peter Serwe wrote:
That is because that is what CentOS-4 was released with ... and we don't
want everyone who has custom modules to go through what you did because
we pushed an update :P

The way an enterprise distro works is pretty much all the major apps get
bug fixes and security updates only after release ... but they do not
move up to newer MAJOR versions.  This is true throughout the lifetime
of the distro.  It is _especially_ true for server apps.

Can you imagine the pissed-offedness IF you do an update for httpd and
none of your custom modules worked ... and then imagine you had hired
someone and paid $500,000.00 to have them designed, and you did not have
anyone in house to fix them :P

Instead, an enterprise distro will backport bug fixes and security
updates.  See this link:

http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

That $500K custom module issue is exactly why the system has stayed running
under crusty old RH9 for the last 8 years. The in-house C talent we had when it was written is long gone, and the three of us working on this project over the last month are *not* C developers, we're just faking it. Truth be told, I'm not even faking it, I pretty much dumped onto the two guys who have 'Developer' as part of their job title. While we technically *don't* have the in-house talent to fix them, somehow, we managed to pull this one out of our <insert_euphemism_for_that_place_here>'s.

I'll have to take a peek at that url, and pass the link along.

Very significant obstacles ... everything needs to be recompiled to use
the new version. And even then, it breaks things.  It is possible, if
you rebuild enough stuff. However ... once you rebuild all that, might
as well be using Fedora Core.  Especially since you need to keep
rebuilding it every update.
Glad to hear my gut is still fully functional, I basically said as much in a meeting with the guys yesterday at lunch, mostly I had to send a mail out to you guys just
to make absolutely sure I wasn't ASSuming too much.  I'm no more immune to
that reflex than anyone else.

:)

RHEL-5b2 does contain httpd-2.2, so CentOS-5 will as well when released.
Glad to hear it :) We'll look at it more when CentOS-5 gets released, and maybe talk to you guys about playing with the beta if we can be of some assistance, and get a jump
on our port.

Thanks much Johnny,

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss