Re: Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

Les Mikesell wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

I maintain a RHL 7.3 system; what's involved in switching it to CentOS2.1?

My sympathies go out to you. :-)

Actually an RH 7.3 with its last updates is an incredibly solid
system.  I have a one (firewalled, I don't think I'd trust it
on the internet) doing quite a bit of work that hasn't been
rebooted in 3+ years - I've forgotten exactly because the uptime
counter had a bug and rolls every 497 days.

Mine _is_ the firewall, and it does have some services pointed at the Internet.

I presume I need to replace the /etc/releases file, the yum configuration and (maybe) force-reinstall some upgrades

I have never actually tried to do the upgrade but years ago when RHEL (then
called 2.1AS) was new, I used a 7.3 system to build the 2.1AS rpms. The
biggest problem I had was that some of the 7.3 packages were newer then the
2.1AS packages. IIRC 2.1AS was based off of RHL 7.2.

I suspect that trying to do the upgrade from 7.3 to CentOS2.1, _might_ leave
you with some packages not up to date.

Those I can identify at my leisure and apply a little force to. Possibly, some were new in RHL 7.3.

Is there some reason to use Centos 2.x instead of 3.x?  I don't see
any showstopper issues between everything I have running on 7.3
and Centos 3, although I'd probably install from scratch and
back in my old configs instead of expecting an upgrade to work.

Centos 2.1 is basically RHL 7.2, It should have a good fit for packages, require _no_ reconfiguration and basically require nothing more than a litte force to upgrade to some older packages and a watchful eye for new orphans. I think without checking the GRUB becomes an orphan, but I can live with that.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait