Re: Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

John Summerfield wrote:

I maintain a RHL 7.3 system; what's involved in switching it to CentOS2.1?

My sympathies go out to you. :-)

Actually an RH 7.3 with its last updates is an incredibly solid
system.  I have a one (firewalled, I don't think I'd trust it
on the internet) doing quite a bit of work that hasn't been
rebooted in 3+ years - I've forgotten exactly because the uptime
counter had a bug and rolls every 497 days.

I presume I need to replace the /etc/releases file, the yum configuration and (maybe) force-reinstall some upgrades

I have never actually tried to do the upgrade but years ago when RHEL (then
called 2.1AS) was new, I used a 7.3 system to build the 2.1AS rpms. The
biggest problem I had was that some of the 7.3 packages were newer then the
2.1AS packages. IIRC 2.1AS was based off of RHL 7.2.

I suspect that trying to do the upgrade from 7.3 to CentOS2.1, _might_ leave
you with some packages not up to date.

Those I can identify at my leisure and apply a little force to. Possibly, some were new in RHL 7.3.

Is there some reason to use Centos 2.x instead of 3.x?  I don't see
any showstopper issues between everything I have running on 7.3
and Centos 3, although I'd probably install from scratch and
back in my old configs instead of expecting an upgrade to work.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx